Sunday, February 1, 2009
This week I observed a second grade class. It was my first time in a second grade classroom and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The classroom was set up with desks facing the smartboard at the front of the room. The students had assigned seating. First thing in the morning the teacher went around the classroom to each child and asked them if they were "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" today. Each child had interesting reasons to why they were in a good mood or a bad mood that day. I thought this morning activity was very good because it gives each child the opportunity to participate and share a little about themselves. It helps everyone to get to know each other. The students switched to their RBI classes first thing in the morning. My classroom teacher had to teach math to the students who were not advanced. They learned about pattern making and used manipulatives to create their own repeating pattern and growing pattern. After math, a new group of students came into the classroom for language. This took most of the time that I was there. The students reviewed vocabulary they had learned that week and reviewed a book that they had been reading all week. Then the students took a test on that book. The teacher said that most students did not pass the test and they rarely ever do. Her class has students who are slower than average in language. Overall, the day was informative and interesting to observe. I learned a lot about teaching and I am very excited to get to know the students in the classroom and teach them lessons of my own.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
That's so cool about the thumbs up thumbs down thing. I wonder if that's considered a morning meeting or if they do that every class? I guess you'll have to find out tomorrow :) Glad you like second grade.
ReplyDeleteI wish we did thumbs up or thumbs down... in college. It's a good way to figure out what kind of mood each child is in. I am VERY surprised to find out that your students go to RBI classes, I did not realize they did that as early as second grade. That seems so young, I thought they started in third or fourth grade. That is kind of disappointing that the teacher knows most students cannot pass her tests but she has to give them anyways. Second grade seems so different from my kindergarten class, but also fun!
ReplyDelete"in college" haha shannonnnn
ReplyDelete