Sunday, April 26, 2009

Of the four models discussed in class, what fits you best and why? Share any experiences teaching or observing in any classrooms with these models.

The Montessori approach definitely fits me best. I grew up in a Montessori school, so I am very familiar with the method. My mom is also a Montessori teacher, so I have had a lot of experience watching her in her classroom. I also worked at a Montessori summer camp for the past two summers and we incorporated many of her ideas into the camp. I love how the children learn to become so independent and can learn practical life activities. The Montessori method is very hands on and the materials are great for the children to learn from because they are self-correcting, which promotes problem solving skills and higher-level thinking. I like the idea that the teacher is there only to direct the children, not to tell them what to do and how to do it. The students have a lot of freedom in the classroom and can choose their work, which is wonderful and creates a sense of self for the students. The students are very neat and organized and know the rules of the classroom so that no one is disruptive or rude during class time, for the most part. I love Montessori classrooms because they are so neat, organized and the students roam around independently with a purpose. The classrooms are usually very quiet and orderly so that the students can concentrate on their work and spend as much time as they need to on any task. The Montessori method would definitely be something I would consider teaching in the future.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe you should have taught class that day! ;) You probably know much more than I do about Montessori.

    ReplyDelete